Foreign Minister assures that Cuba has absolute commitment against terrorism

Spread the love

Havana, June 1 (RHC) Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez stated this Monday that his country is absolutely and categorically committed to acting vigorously and condemning terrorism.

There are plenty of reasons to wonder whether the U.S. government can make such a categorical statement about its position on this scourge, Rodríguez said on his Twitter account.

In a statement published on Monday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that as a country that has been a victim of terrorism, Cuba deplores any manifestation of manipulation and political opportunism in dealing with such a sensitive issue.

Thus, the Foreign Ministry rejected its inclusion in the list of countries that “do not cooperate” with the anti-terrorist efforts of the United States due to the presence of members of the National Liberation Army (ELN), while reiterating its support for Colombian peace.

The U.S. accusation of the ELN’s presence is flimsy and dishonest, “meaningless and facilitated by the ungrateful attitude of the Colombian government.

He stressed that Cuba invariably maintains its support for the peace of the South American nation as guarantor and venue for the peace process with the ELN and previously with the former Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia-People’s Army (FARC-EP).

This list of countries, released by the State Department on May 13, is unilateral, arbitrary and without any basis, authority or international support, reiterated the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

In the text, he emphasized that this list only serves to defame and coerce countries that refuse to abide by the will of the U.S. government in its sovereign decisions.

Regarding the argument used, he recalled that members of the ELN and the Colombian government arrived in Cuba in May 2018 as part of the peace process, after Ecuador suddenly abandoned its status as the venue for the talks.

That process, which began in 2017 in Quito under the last mandate of President Juan Manuel Santos, continued with his successor, the current Colombian leader Ivan Duque, giving rise to several exchanges until January 2019.

The statement explained that the Colombian government had also decided to disregard the Protocol of Rupture signed in 2016 with the ELN and the countries that had guaranteed the negotiations: Cuba, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Venezuela and Norway.

This protocol established the safe return of the guerrilla delegation to Colombia in the event of a break in the dialogue, and its rejection represents a breach of the commitments made by the South American nation with six other signatory states, the text stated.

In this regard, he clarified that due to the non-application of this Protocol, the members of the ELN peace delegation still remain in the country.

(Taken from RHC)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Estadisticas Web